Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Best foot forward

A fresh start. They always feel good. A New Year brings resolutions for many. Last year I was pretty good in the resolution department so this year I will try to focus on the one that was lacking last year......exercise. It plagues most people I know. I did ok for a while but plantar fasciitis pummeled my left foot. It still isn't really 100% better but I have to figure out other options. So perhaps this will be the year of no excuses?

Stepping off with my right foot (because it's the better one), I am happy to say that I have completed the meal plan for January. I successfully planned 9 out of 12 months in 2013 (April was a bust with the move and Nov. & Dec. were chaos, even moreso without the plan) and, as a whole, the family runs smoother with the plan. Here is the plan for January:

1st - corned beef, cabbage, black-eyed peas (luck, money, and health!)
2nd - smoked sausage sauté, summer squash casserole, fruit
3rd - herb-baked chicken, broccoli casserole, corn
4th - chili, cornbread
5th - skillet stroganoff, stmd. broccoli & cauli.
6th - chicken parmesan, salad, garlic bread
7th - ham, mac n' cheese, peas
8th - macadamia nut chicken, spinach salad, pinenut couscous
9th - chef salad
10th - tilapia piccata, stmd. carrots, roasted red potatoes
11th - steak, green beans, risotto
12th - pecan-crusted chicken tenders, rice pilaf, peas
13th - spaghetti (w/Italian saus.), salad, garlic bread
14th - chicken cordon bleu, ranch potatoes, green beans
15th - turkey pot pie, fruit
16th - sloppy joes, stmd veggies
17th - stuffed green peppers (turkey), fresh fruit
18th - bbq chicken, coleslaw, baked beans
19th - *catch can/leftovers/pizza?
20th - fettucine alfredo w/chicken, broccoli
21st - smothered pork chops, brown rice blend, crmd corn
22nd - chicken stir fry, fried rice, orange chicken (frozen)
23rd - Tex-Mex pulled pork (w/Hawaiian rolls), sautéed greens, fruit
24th - meatloaf, creamy polenta, soybeans
25th - garlicky shrimp scampi, asparagus, brown rice
26th - chicken enchiladas, pinto beans (slow simmer)
27th - homemade vegetable soup, grilled cheese
28th - ghoulash, salad
29th - tuna patties, green beans, pasta salad
30th - baked potato soup, salad
31st - shepherd's pie, crusty bread

So hard to be creative, yet make things that everyone will eat AND keep it somewhat healthy. I keep telling myself it is better and cheaper than fast food. Now to conquer the grocery shopping with my best foot forward.

No comments: