Sunday, August 16, 2009

The age old question -- what's for dinner? It's a thorn in my side really. I try to serve a variety of things and on nights when I'm attempting to serve something new I always include a side dish I know the kids like so they will at least eat something. I actually would enjoy cooking if I didn't have to listen to the 'blah,blah,blah - whine/whine/whine' about what I'm making. I've tried letting each child pick a night and create the meal; most times he/she doesn't even eat what he/she had even suggested!

So, I've given up. I plan out a monthly meal calendar based on our insane schedule from football to theatre to meetings, etc. I might ask for suggestions or I might not. BUT 1) to have a plan makes my day a lot easier and 2) to have a plan prevents us from eating fast-food 500 times a week. It has nothing to do with whether or not the kids will eat. It's my job to provide you with healthy food; it's your job to eat it!

Now, often times this is what dinner looks like.......

in case you can't read the post-it, it says:
pork chops (oven)
stuffing (stove)
green breans (micro)
applesauce (fridge)
And that answers the question ---'How do you do it?' It's not pretty but it works. I am in love with my delay start on my oven. It's like magic. Porkchops were ready within minutes of arriving home from practice; stuffing was made and just needed to be re-heated; green beans warmed up; pour out applesauce. Ding, ding --- DINNER!

(I love my crock-pot too, but the delay start ROCKS!)

No comments: