Thursday, April 25, 2013

Take me home

Sunbeam bread got me thinking about my home, Louisiana. Here are a few things that cross my mind when it comes to Louisiana....
1) A snoball is NOT a snow-cone. Nor is it shaved ice. It has a texture all it's own and is not easily duplicated. Everyone has their favorite flavor or combination. I'm looking forward to my next chance at a spearmint or strawberry personally.
2) The Holy Trinity is sacred in Louisiana. Many people are strong in their faith. BUT there is more than one holy trinity and the second involves onion, bell pepper, and celery. Don't believe me? Watch a Southern cooking show or ask someone about Cajun cooking.
3) The delicious red crustaceans that people enjoy by the pound are CRAWfish not crayfish. And they are best served spicy with mini red potatoes and corn-on-the-cob (served on newspaper is best).
4) Red beans are not from a can. They come dry in a bag labeled Camellia :)
5) Sweet tea is serious business.

and last but not least
6) Blue Bell ice cream is THE BEST. (My kids go through a gallons of ice cream quite easily)
 
Texas has brought us a LOT closer to all of these things considering I can get all of them here except the snoball. And that makes going home this weekend even more exciting. A long road trip topped off with great food, great friends, and specialty foods that speak to your soul. Yeah you right!




No comments: