Monday, March 12, 2007

As my kids evolve in the television world, I periodically try to catch a few old favorites. Sometimes we'll run across a Maggie & the Ferocious Beast episode (great googally moogally!) or a random Mister Rogers Neighborhood (I still think the puppets are creepy) and it brings me back to how insane three children 3-1/2yo & younger was. Clearly I wasn't thinking clearly when figuring out birth control. Anyway, I digress.....I can on occasion get Ian to watch Sesame Street or a Blue's Clues.

Today I was disturbed at what I saw. Deeply saddened. (Still bitter from Steve moving on) First, it was a Blue's Clues episode with Joe. He's nice enough, but he's NOT Steve and I never made the transition. Second, and most shocking, Joe wasn't all jolly and happy about getting the mail --- he was singin' a little diddy about EMAIL. 'We've got EMAIL'No. No. No. It's all wrong.

Yes, we are tech generation (who'da thunk I would have a blog) with gizmos and gadgets galore, but is it absolutely necessary that we teach toddlers about email? Don't the creators understand that the HIGHLIGHT of my day as an at-home Mom in the throws of parenting wee ones was GETTING THE MAIL. It was a huge production; almost as huge as Steve made it. And Joe thinks he needs to skip the REAL mailbox. heh, last time I watch dear old Blue.

I'm gonna go dig up one of my most favorite books from childhood and savor some old fashioned Sesame Street. There's A Monster at the End of this Book

No comments: