Thursday, April 01, 2010

GOOD STUFF
On Monday, I went with Ian's class to the local U-Pick strawberry (& produce) farm. To see the pure excitement in the kids' eyes about riding in a school bus, riding in the wagon pulled by a tractor, and picking strawberries just warms my heart so much. They just see the fun in the little things.......somewhere in adulthood this is lost. (probably when the reality of bills and responsibility takes hold, but it's still sad that most people don't appreciate the little things)We were able to taste FRESH organically grown spinach, sugar snap peas, celery, green onion, lettuce, and carrots as the guide told us about different parts of plants; irrigation; etc. I was shocked and amazed with how eagar Ian was to just eat everything (well, most of the kids did actually).
THEN it was time for the main event..............strawberry picking. After being instructed on how to properly pick the berries and that 'the redder, the better' is the way to decide, the kids were off. Eating to their hearts content while they filled their own basket.
I went with the 'one for me, one for you' philosophy on helping the kids. Of course, I didn't have a basket so my one for me simply went into my mouth. Ian was anxious to share his loot & have fresh strawberry/orange/banana smoothies after school.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We lose the ability to find joy in the little things when our friends mock our fun (about 4th grade). We get it back when we have children (and hopefully we keep it when they become teens).

Nicole said...

I love the wagon ride and strawberry picking! I think we made ourselves sick last time we went eating so many strawberries! YUM!

The Amazing Trips said...

The one and only time that I went strawberry picking, I ate more than I put in my basket. And ohhhh.... I was in heaven, until the two hour car ride home when my over-indulgence on fiber caught up with me.

Trucker rest stops: I never appreciated them as much as I did that day on the way home from the strawberry fields.

I hope y'all are having a wonderful spring break. :)