Saturday, December 31, 2011

So, it's New Year's Eve. Bleh. I'm not a huge fan. I just don't get it. I don't want to go to a crowded restaurant and pay extra for mediocre food and drink specials that I don't even drink. I don't want to go to a bar and have it be overcrowded with people who are drinking heavily just because they have an excuse. And then, they aren't necessarily responsible about having a designated driver either.

Add to that.....Collin works on New Year's Eve. So it's just me and the kids. I could TRY to get a sitter but going to hang at a bar while your husband works isn't super fun either. In the past I have traveled to visit friends, but having just returned from Ohio and the thought of returning back to work so soon (Tuesday!.....thought we had extra time last year?) kind of squelched the idea of driving 1,000 miles.

Don't get me wrong --- I am ready to be D.O.N.E. with 2011. It has been very stress-filled and exhausting. It's had it's highlights but mostly it's been about trying to keep our heads above water in this sucky economy; trying to make ends meet. I lost two Aunts in the last few months. Our sweet cat 16 yr. old Shasta mysteriously disappeared and I just like to think that she got out of the house and went to die in peace. It's difficult to see the light at the end of the tunnel sometimes. But in reality, as hard as I'd like to think we've had it, MANY people have had it worse.
  • My friend Audrey and her family lost EVERYTHING in a house fire. They all survived and with a lot of hardwork and patience, they are home again.
  • Ashton Sweet, a local Irvine teen and friend, was killed in a car accident. My friends, Janet and Julie, both lost close friends of their families.....all TEENAGERS. My heart just breaks for the families that have to deal with such tragedies.
I need to learn to count my blessings and appreciate what I do have: I have a husband who works hard for our family, I have four healthy children, I have a job (that I love), and I have a home to live in. So, as I attempt to have a quiet NYE at home with the kids [note: I said quiet/ even playing games isn't quiet!] eating finger foods and hanging out, I wish you a HAPPY NEW YEAR. Here's to 2012! May it bring you good health and happines.

(And maybe a few more blog posts from me.)

No comments: