Wednesday, February 13, 2008

So, we try to read to (and with) the kids as much as possible. It's not an easy task with four very different reading levels and personal tastes.

Maggie still enjoys being read to but she struggles to find a genre/theme/catagory that she enjoys. I get it; it's all my fault. I hated to read as a kid b/c it was such a struggle and she is cut from the same mold. She always asks (more like begs & pleads) with me to buy her books; yet she never reads them. I'm encouraging her to use the library to find a good fit THEN we will purchase to our hearts content. It's so frustrating b/c she will read a few pages of a book and immediately hate it. [I just want to note that I have no problem buying books as long as they are going to be read.] She did finish Diary of a Wimpy Kid recently and she is working on The Tale of Despereaux right now.

Sean remains the non-fiction reading king. He loves, loves, loves animal stuff; mostly oceanography but he'll read about most anything. He is working on Step 3 beginning readers. He's moving toward chapter books, but he hasn't seen much that he likes there. I'm hoping he'll jump into Magic Treehouse soon. He's a bit behind on his reading fluency, but he is improving.

Amanda is really moving forward with her reading. She is currently breezing through Bob books and trys to figure out words constantly. I am reading a Magic Treehouse book to her and she is really enjoying the short chapters. She'll be reading these before I know it. One of her current favorites is I Ain't Gonna Paint No More; so fun, and it fits her personality to a tee.

Ian just appreciates the reading time he does get. He loves all the classics (Big Red Barn, Sandra Boynton stuff, etc.) but his two favorites these days are: Ten Clean/Dirty Pigs and Baby Bear, Baby Bear What Do You See? Of course, you have to pinch your nose when you read the skunk page.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Try reading the baseball books- Honus and Me, Babe and Me, etc to Sean- they are chapter books about a kid who can time travel when he holds a baseball card. He meets famous players and has cool adventures. They were one of the few chapter books I could get Justin interested in during 2nd grade.