Thursday, October 19, 2006

Now the gut-wrenching sad part of my New Orleans visit
It was my 1st time back post-Katrina; it has been almost 14mos. since the storm. However, from what I saw, not a lot has changed in many, many places. Empty is a good way to describe it all. I sample a few photos:
This is West End Park -- the former location of Jaeger's, Bart's and other bar/restaurants.
Just one of the thousands of homes in the Lakeview area. The horizontal lines on the pole are water marks. The slow steadying markings as the water subsided. You can still see the family's couch in the front. These poor, poor families.
Yes, that is a boat in the middle of the street. Miles away from where water is now. Still there after all this time.
Breach now fixed, but if you can see the large piece of grassy land -- completely washed away homes.
Touching.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow...I think the boat being there is an awesome reminder. How sad that it's been all this time and there are still so many reminders. I wonder if it will ever be back to normal.