Tuesday, July 23, 2013

mmmm, can you smell it?

Nope --- not the manicotti in the oven. Or the coffee in my cup. And I wish it was cookies baking in the oven. Instead, it is the GLORIOUS smell of fresh school supplies. Is there anything more exciting than opening and organizing new school supplies. For as long as I can remember I have loved school supplies and the anticipation of getting new ones for a new school year sends adrenaline rushing through my veins. (and really makes me miss my old job, wah!)

Back in the day (going WAY BACK), my Mom used to pre-order our supply bundles and we would head to Fasullo's local drug store/pharmacy to pick it up a few days before school. I would rip that bundle apart as fast as I could to write my name on the fresh, clean goodness of notebooks, folders, and crayons. Oh yes, you know there is NOTHING quite like the clean aroma of a new box crayons.
Crayons, colors, 'crowns', however you say....they smell good!
Over a matter of days, I would organize, re-organize, pack and unpack my backpack in with pure delight.

When we lived in California, it seemed like school had just ended when Target put out the massive quanities of supplies. And then put them on sale. I was literally scooping up supplies within a month of school letting out. So, I had to keep the supplies hidden for about seven weeks before the kids could enjoy the adrenaline rush. Let's face it, there would NOT be any adrenaline if they had to even think about supplies at that point anyway. I hid them because I didn't even want to think about school either.

So today, I ventured out WITH a list and much to my dismay not one box of crayons was on the list! (Ian is getting a supply pack like I used to so I was only shopping for three.)  Not that we need any because we have plenty, but really? Nine binders, loads of dividers, and several composition books later my fingers were itching for something Crayola. I did wind up with two pack of colored pencils because we can never have enough of those but the list was void of Crayola requests. Gone are the days of crayons, markers, colored pencils by the basket full. Now it is mostly reams of college ruled paper along with notebooks, binders, and a couple folders. Binders are $$$$ and I am sad to know they won't likely last the year. We got a few other key things like pencils, pens, highlighters, and erasers, but it's not the same.
 
Maggie, Sean, and Amanda quickly organized and labeled their stuff but they are not quite ready to head back to the classroom just yet.

I will hold out hope that Ian will have some crayons in his supply pack. He will have the opportunity to rip it open, organize it, label it, and enjoy the scent of the fresh box of crayons. And if he doesn't, I might just have to buy a new box for .25 on sale and hid it in a Ziploc to savor the scent a little longer. (and be super sad that they don't need them in 4th grade)

My babies are getting older and their supplies are evolving as well, it doesn't mean I can't relive my childhood a little.

No comments: